· “Van Name has created a hero worth at least a dozen more novels . . . I want this to be a series. I want to read a new one every year.” —Orson Scott Card
· “One Jump Ahead is like well-aged white lightning: it goes down smooth then delivers a kick that knocks you on the floor.” —John Ringo
· “Hard real science smoothly blended into action that blazes like a pinball from one exotic setting to another. This one is very, very good.” —David Drake
· “Mark Van Name’s headlong pace of story-telling reminds me a lot of Keith Laumer. . . . He’s one of the very few modern authors I've seen who can manage that.” —Eric Flint
2. Van Name is going to be the next big name in military science fiction, and will attract enthusiastic reader attention with this novel that will appeal to readers of other Baen superstars, such as David Drake, John Ringo, and David Weber.
3. Advertising in Locus, more.
Slanted Jack: a novel that bobs and weaves, takes you on a headlong race through a strange but believable future, and never slows down.
The job looks simple enough: Jon Moore, the nanotech-enhanced, world-weary, soldier of fortune, agrees to help a con man, a friend from a part of his past he’d rather forget, protect a very special young boy. The deal doesn’t stay simple, as each move Jon and Lobo make results in more danger and more enemies. The situation grows even more complicated when a beautiful woman with an unclear agenda joins them in their quest.
The best con man Jon’s ever known, a ruthless gang boss, a heavily armed group of religious fanatics, and an interstellar government out to clean up a dangerous frontier world rush together toward an explosive climax—and Jon and Lobo are caught in the middle.
Slanted Jack: the second novel in the Jon & Lobo series.
About the Author
Mark L. Van Name, whom John Ringo has said is "going to be the guy to beat in the race to the top of SFdom," has worked in the high-tech industry for over 30 years and today runs a technology assessment company in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina. A former Executive Vice President for Ziff Davis Media and a national technology columnist, he's published over a thousand computer-related articles and multiple science fiction stories in a variety of magazines and anthologies, including the Year's Best Science Fiction. Jon & Lobo stories have appeared in a Baen anthology and Jim Baen's Universe.