No church building in Detroit is older than Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, its cornerstone laid in 1844. The parish was entrusted in 1877 to the Jesuits, who, from this base in the city's heart, developed institutions of learning and service, such as the University of Detroit Mercy, the University of Detroit Jesuit High School, Loyola High School, and Manresa Retreat House. Detroit parishes such as Gesu, Holy Family, and St. Maron also have roots here. The church's acclaimed Homeless Jesus sculpture signifies both its long history of service to those in need and the current outreach of the Pope Francis Center. Today, the parish is a young, diverse, and welcoming Catholic community and a sturdy reminder of Detroit's faith-based roots. Located across from downtown's gleaming Renaissance Center, the parish is engaged in and committed to the revival of Detroit.