About Liara Tamani:
- I'm a strong believer in following your heart, even when you don't know exactly where it's taking you.
- I can make a mean guacamole (it's almost a requirement for being Texan).
- I LOVE dancing and doing yoga.
- I have absolutely no problem singing in public when my jam comes on. And yes, I still use the word jam.
- I LOVE traveling. So far my life has taken me to Columbia, Costa Rica, The Czech Republic, England, France, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico, Morocco, the Netherlands, Slovenia, Spain, South Africa, Switzerland, and Tanzania.
- Succulents are my friends. Regular house plants can't stand me.
- Growing up I thought I'd become an attorney (like my father). I worked really hard and made it all the way to Harvard Law School, where I realized I wanted to do something different with my life. So I followed my heart and left.
- Before finding my way back to writing, I went down a winding path of being: a marketing coordinator for the Houston Rockets & Comets, a production assistant for Girlfriends (TV show), a home accessories designer, a floral designer, and yoga and dance teacher.
- I have a BA from Duke University and an MFA in Writing from Vermont College.
- I live in Houston with my daughter
About Calling My Name:
Taja Brown lives with her parents and older brother and younger sister, in Houston, Texas. Taja has always known what the expectations of her conservative and tightly-knit family are—do well in school, go to church every Sunday, no intimacy before marriage. But Taja is trying to keep up with friends as they get their first kisses, first boyfriends, first everythings. And she’s tired of cheering for her athletic younger sister and an older brother who has more freedom just because he’s a boy. Taja dreams of going to college and forging her own relationship with the world and with God, but when she falls in love for the first time, those dreams are suddenly in danger of evaporating.